-- --

Friday, July 4, 2008

Out to Lunch

Bryant Park, or Christo Installation?
Photo by myself, in Bryant Park, at 42nd Street and 5th Avenue.

With the casual dress of workplaces these days, it's hard to distinguish whether people are on vacation or on their lunch break.

During a typical weekday lunch hour, New Yorkers are known to lie in the grass, take off their shirts or even work on their tans (!). Others take their lunches upright and dressed, at cafe tables.

This summer, the main branch of the New York Public Library is undergoing a makeover. In the background, the massive Neo-Classical building resembles a Christo installation.

--

This entire week was effected by the three-day weekend.

Many, many people are taking their vacations this week, because the holiday so nicely falls on a Friday. My workplace was deathly silent, and it was a real challenge to get information from anyone.

Mark and I are so happy to have the three days ahead. Woohoo! What's on the menu? Cooking, cleaning and some driving around. And a great deal of relaxing.

The weather report shows it will be humid and thunder-showery this weekend. Hope everyone in the area remembers an umbrella!


Related posts: Building for a Greener Environment, 42nd Street and TGIF.

9 comments:

Olivier said...

quand je vois le bryant park, je suis aux anges. j'imagine passer la journée du 4 juillet sur la pelouse du bryant park.
Je te souhaite un bon 4 juillet

when I see the bryant park, I'm thrilled. I imagine spending the day on July 4 on the lawn of bryant park.
I wish you a good July 4

Mab said...

Hi Kitty, Bryant Park looks like a really lovely space to relax in, do you spend much time there yourselves?
Happy 4th July :0)
Mab :)

Fredrik said...

Happy 4th July! Me and my wife will actually celebrate the day with a couple of Americans living i Ystad.

Carolyn said...

Happy 4th! Great Pics. All your pics make me want to visit NYC even more!

Kitty said...

Thanks Olivier. Happy weekend to you!

I have a soft spot for Bryant Park, too. Who can resist a large swath of green?

Hi Mab
I'm there often for lunch these days. It's always packed to the gills, and difficult to find a place to sit.

We usually spend a good 5 minutes circling for a table.

Hi Fredrik
Happy weekend to you! How neat that you're celebrating over in Sweden.

Happy 4th, Carolyn dear
Hope you will have a lovely holiday weekend.

fishwithoutbicycle said...

I love Bryant Park. I don't get there as often as I would like. Have a great Holiday weekend Kitty :-)

Dana said...

It looks lovely there! I think I forget from the photos how humid it can be! I can't wait to see what great photos you turn up with from your weekend off :) Thanks so much for the support on my blog.. you were one of my very first blog friends and I really appreciate your comments and insight :) Have a great weekend..your friend Dana

Anonymous said...

I like the chap in the centre who is flat out to it.

Kitty said...

Hi Fish
It's a wonderful place to work near, isn't it. To be able to picnic during a work day is a luxury.

A lovely holiday weekend to you, dear!

Thanks Dana
I hope we get around this weekend. You never know. Often it's just too hot to do anything.

keep up the wonderful work with your creative pursuits!

Hi Tammy
Happy 4th to you!

Hi Julie
I'm sure that guy was in heaven!