-- --

Wednesday, August 27, 2008

From Under the Bridge

The View From Brooklyn
Photo by myself, from the Brooklyn waterfront.

A city worker takes a moment to admire the Manhattan skyline. Above and out of frame are the Brooklyn Bridge and one of the temporary waterfalls, an urban installation by Olafur Eliasson.

--

This past weekend, Mark and I drove to the park near the Brooklyn waterfront, for some photos.

It was early and slightly overcast. The city was just waking up.

Street vendors were setting up their stalls nearby. Under tents, they stacked fresh vegetables and flowers from nearby farms. Meanwhile, the waterfall below the bridge was running at full force.

A couple people walked their dogs or jogged by. No one was around, but Mark and I spoke in quiet whispers.

It was like the few of us had the whole view of Manhattan to ourselves.

More photos of the Brooklyn Bridge, to follow.

Related posts: The View from on High, Different Vistas and The Sky is Falling.

10 comments:

Olivier said...

j'ai beaucoup aimé (malheureusement qu'en photos) les cascades d'Olafur Eliasson. Je regrette beaucoup qu'elles ne restent pas jusqu'à l'hiver

I really liked (unfortunately only in photos) cascades Olafur Eliasson. I very much regret that they did not remain until winter

Kitty said...

Hi Olivier
In photos the waterfalls are nice. In real life, I think they are disappointing. They look incidental compared to the vast area around them.

I'm hope there will be other interesting events during your visit this winter!

Ken Mac said...

I don't care for the fake waterfalls, but I like this shot. You captured those ominous clouds in the background...

Eva said...

What a coincidence. Just last week I read a several pages long story about Olafur Eliasson in the paper over here, and one of the pictures illustrating the article was the waterfall!
:-)

I can only imagine what a great morning you and Mark had. It sounded a little romantic too!! ;-)

sonia a. mascaro said...

Very nice photo!

Mom Knows Everything said...

I like that photo, it's different.

Kitty said...

Thanks Ken
I don't even remember if it rained later on, but it was a little weird out.

Hi Eva
cool to know the installation is getting such press!

Thanks Sonia!

Thanks Tammy.
It was the first time we'd been in that park. Great view!

Lady Di Tn said...

Kitty
What an interesting post you have. I like "The Sticks" and what a grand adventure to try all those different foods out of carts. Peace

dianasfaria.com said...

I like how you captured this "every" man having a quiet moment to himself.
I'm looking forward to more photos of the bridge. Do you ever walk across it to get to Manhattan?

Kitty said...

Thanks Lady Di
Anyone who likes a variety of food would love it here. You should visit!

Thanks Lily
I have to post those photos soon!

I have walked across a couple times. It's peaceful and fun - you see all types of people walking or cycling or running across. And of course, the view is astounding.