-- --

Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Serving it Up From the Back of a Truck

Halal truck, Lower Park Avenue, NYC
Photo by myself on Lower Park Avenue, around 23rd Street.

This is one of the many Halal meat trucks that park around the city and serves up entrees at all hours of the day. They start emitting the smell of cooked chicken during morning rush hour. (Yum!)

My favorite has to be the chicken and rice, basically cut up chicken over yellow rice with various sauces. The trucks often serve falafel and lamb as well.

The word 'Halal' refers to the way an animal is slaughtered for meat, under Islamic belief.

Related posts: A la Carte, I Scream, You Scream and Mangia.

8 comments:

Olivier said...

a NYC j'aime tous ces restaurants itinérants, on peut manger n'importe quand, n'importe où.

NYC has all these restaurants , you can eat anytime, anywhere.

tr3nta said...

Here in Madrid we have many of those but they sell "churros", "porras", and stuff like that u eat those with hot chocalat.

Terry at Blue Kitchen said...

It's not even ten in the morning and you've got me hungry--for some delicious chicken and rice and for a visit to New York.

Ken Mac said...

i love the chicken and rice too! and the carts make such great shots..

Jay_ said...

Nothing like chicken and rice at 2am in the city lol.

dianasfaria.com said...

I really like his "OPEN" sign. great shot Kitty!

Kitty said...

Hi Olivier
True, NY has no shortage of places to eat, lol

Hi Tr3nta
I would LOVE to go to Madrid someday and sample all the food trucks there. Sounds yum!

Alas, I've only been to Barcelona so far, which is very different.

Hi Terry B
I'd think your delicious food and recipes are a step above these trucks. Though it's cool to eat literally on the street.

You should visit NY soon. So many good places, and not all expensive at all.

Hi Ken
Glad to see another intrepid soul! My coworkers sometimes give me the eyeball but they don't know what they're missing

Welcome Jay
haha yes. These are dependable sources of drinking food!

Thanks Lily
I love neon too!

Ming the Merciless said...

That is my favorite food too.

There was a truck selling Korean spicy pork with rice near me but he moved. :-(