-- --

Tuesday, February 10, 2009

On Modern Interiors and Mad Men

Closed
Photo by myself in Park Slope, Brooklyn.

The atmospheric glimpse into an office interior caught on camera some time ago.

Anything can be evocative, including fluorescent lighting, green walls and metal storefronts.

--

Speaking of office interiors, do check out the award-winning AMC television series Mad Men, if you can. Mark and I watched the first episode on dvd and were mesmerized.

I had heard the show mentioned on NPR for being well-scripted and staged. The 'Mad Men' were those advertising men in the 50s and 60s who worked hard and played hard on Madison Avenue in New York.

Mark works in advertising, and Madison Avenue is a term that's still used, though advertising firms are now scattered all around the city. Madison Avenue firms were the established offices that handled corporate clients, back in the day.

It was a competitive, hard drinking and cigarette-smoking time. And though the show presents its characters and stories in an unglamorous way, the screen manages to reek of glamor. If you're a fan of emerging modernism in fashion, architecture and design, Mad Men is for you.

It makes sense for a show to capitalize on American advertising. I'm surprised the idea didn't come along sooner.

Read what the Times had to say about the show here.

For the NPR interview with Matt Weiner, the show's creator, click here.

Related posts: Nearly Perfect, Not Your Average New Yorker and New York on TV, Coming Soon.

6 comments:

dianasfaria.com said...

I like this photo Kitty.
Thanks for the tip on Mad Men. I rarely get to watch TV & when I do I seem to get hooked on repeats long after everyone else has been watching a popular show for years.
; )

fishwithoutbicycle said...

I used to watch Mad Men but the overwhelming sexism used to get me really annoyed so I had to stop ;-) I love the Joan Holloway character though. It's good to see curvier women celebrated on TV in this age of skinny minnies

Anonymous said...

This is a nice photo.Interesting. I wondered if it had anything to do with sad state of our economy.

Ken Mac said...

i love Mad Men! Have the first season on DVD, and am awaiting the second set. Let's hope they get back in the air soon.

Fredrik said...

Great photo! Very tight and interesting!

• Eliane • said...

I do like this! Nice ambiance and it peeks your curiosity enough without being completely nosy. ;)