-- --

Saturday, August 15, 2009

Live Poetry on the Lower East Side

Bowery Poetry Club, NYCPhoto by myself on Bowery, just south of Houston Street.

The Bowery Poetry Club and Cafe is a performance space for literary readings and poetry slams.

Every night features different artists or themes, and entrance fees are extremely reasonable. If you want to feel like you're on the cutting edge of emerging verbal art, treat yourself to a poetry slam.

I haven't been to the above venue, but I have been to the Nuyorican Poets Cafe, another well-known location for poetry slams. The performances I witnessed were inspired and full of creative energy.

For a schedule of events at the Bowery Poetry Club, click here.

Related posts: Behind the Curtain, Meatpacking District in Black and White and Building Big.

5 comments:

Jasminé said...

OH how stunning! I would so love to go & listen to poetry there

Jas

GIANTS FAN said...

Hello,

I love your site here. I'm going to come back often. I'm here to talk to you about my sports forum, which you can find by clicking on my name. It's for New York sports only, so New Yorkers can talk to each other about their favorite teams. Check it out when you get the chance. Take care. Jason

http://www.nysportscrunch.com

James said...

Cool shot!

fishwithoutbicycle said...

That's a great photo Kitty. I have never been to the Bowery Poetry Club. I've been to the Nuyorican Poets Cafe, but for a story slam when The Moth had events there. I should put the Bowery Poetry Club on my list of things to do.

Kitty said...

Hi Jasmine
You and me both! I've been to only a couple poetry slams and both occasions were incredible.

Thanks Jason and James!

Hi Fish
Ah, the Moth story slams made it to the Times recently, here.

There are so many talented and creative people in New York, it's cool that people have opportunities to share their work.