-- --

Sunday, January 2, 2011

Missing, on Broadway

Missing
Photo by myself on Broadway and Spring Street, in Soho.

Fortunately, a quick internet search confirmed that the two women on the flier were found, safe.

The teenagers were from neighboring New Jersey, and were found in Connecticut. No details were provided regarding why they went missing.

--

Like many major cities, New York is often the destination for runaways. Signs such as the one above are not uncommon. You might see a few of these every year.

Runaways come to New York perhaps because it symbolizes opportunity. More often than signs, you see young people sitting on sidewalks asking for help.

I believe I had my first close encounter with a runaway a couple months ago, on the subway. On my way to work, I sat next to a young man who was asleep. After a couple stops, he woke up and asked where he was.

He said that he fell asleep while looking for a hotel. Besides the fact that he was young and scruffy, that fact didn't sit well with me. After all, who goes to a city without planning first where to stay?

By the time we got into Manhattan, he said, 'Well, I guess I should just go into the office'.

Scruffy young kid, new to the city, suddenly has an office to go to? It didn't seem right. But it was a Monday, and my brain doesn't function well in the mornings. I directed him to where his 'office' was, near NYU.

Looking back, I wish I could re-live that day. I wish I'd asked him directly what his deal was, though it's not the easiest thing to do with a perfect stranger. If I had, this might have been a completely different story.

Related posts: Hope for Better Times, in the East Village, On Pink Walls and a Family Update and Outside the Sunburnt Cow, on Avenue C.

9 comments:

Cesc Sales said...

The show most go on!!!

dianasfaria.com said...

I can see why you would be concerned. Thankfully NY is a fairly safe place and hopefully the young man found a place where he could get some help.

Pierre said...

Great photo. Love the un clear. And the dramatic portraits.
The story end well. Good news

John-Roy Photography said...

Nice image and story behind it. I am glad everyone made it home!!

Kitty said...

Ha, thanks Cesc!

Hi Lily,
You're right...NYC is so safe these days. Not like the old days when it was a virtual battleground!

Hi Pierre!
Thank you and happy new year.

Hello and welcome, John!
I am thankful for happy endings. Don't we need more of those at this time?

khUthU said...

sometimes knowing that ur genuinely concerns towards others is more than enought to make us grounded. its important to stay 'human'. cause out of the wild randomness, we dont wanna invite troubles. for me, i think, the least is to keep it non-verbal. and ofcoz, guys can muscle things out.. eheh

happy new year! pictures are gettin more alive with this kind of detailings ;)

Mizzholborow said...

I love all of your images and am pleased to have discovered your wonderful blog, but this image is definitely my favourite.
Simple, haunting yet leaves an impact, one snapshot screams a million possible messages.
Love it!

Kitty said...

Hello khUthU!
I so agree. It is all too easy to respond to the world around us with sheer instinct. I feel this way living in the city, especially. The city so easily reduces you to not care about others, since it can be a battle, just to get down the street.

I wish you a wonderful New Year ahead!

Hello and welcome Mizzholborow!
Thank you so much! I'm glad you enjoyed the photo.

khUthU said...

i second that, ma'am. same goes to you :) thx!!