-- --

Saturday, November 5, 2011

Outside the Apple Store, on 59th Street

59th Street Apple Store
Photo by myself at 59th Street and Fifth Avenue.

The scaffolding has come down around the new 59th Street Apple Store. This is the flagship, which is open 24/7, 365 days a year.

Huge pieces of glass have replaced smaller ones, so there are fewer breaks in the facade. The result is a much more pristine looking glass box. It stood in the sun on Friday afternoon, surrounded by tour groups.

Steve Jobs was said to have come up with using a cube for the design. The flagship has won numerous design awards. For more about the flagship, including interior shots, click here.

--

I must report that my new Leica Dlux 5 has been working great so far. The photo above was taken with my big Canon 40D SLR. In comparison, the images for Wednesday, Thursday and Friday were taken with the Leica. The Leica captures highlights and nuances very well, and it's about 1/3 the size of the Canon.

I was worried at first about the learning curve of using a new camera. If you're in the habit of taking photos on using the Manual setting, you'll get the hang of things quickly. It only takes a day to make the change.

I only wish there were more time to take photos. That's the one thing a new camera won't provide you with.

(Darn it).

Related posts: The Apple Store, Continued, The Latest Thing, and Grinning and Bearing it, on 42nd Street.

7 comments:

dianasfaria.com said...

Oh Now I can't wait to see the new Apple store!
& now I think I must seriously consider the Leica too.
Thanks for the update Kitty.
: )

King of New York Hacks said...

I have a friend who has been using the same Leica for 30 years...what great cameras...and Aplle ?? Its a cult I tell ya !! Zombies !! LOL ...on a sidenote, I used the Sony Nex 5 recently and it really took some brilliant pictures, very surprising and may have persuaded me to purchase it..sending honks to you, clocks back and the marathon in our lovely city today , Cheers ! :)

s.c said...

I am wondering how it is about the heat when the sun is shining the whole day on this "greenhouse". Of course Apple has money enough for a good airco but still.

Louis la Vache said...

WOW! A 24/7 Apple store! Mac fanatic «Louis» would like this!

«Louis» has been following your comments about the Leica with interest...

Wayne said...

I'm curious about how, and how often they clean the glass. See if you can a picture of that Kitty. :-)

Kitty said...

ha, I see the Apple post has touched a nerve. Yes, we are a fanatic bunch. They are a great and consistent brand.

Hi Lily!
I'll be posting more thoughts about the Leica soon!

Hi King of Hacks
I hope you got a peek at the Marathon today.
I've read tons about the Sony and saw someone using one at the marathon but didn't get to speak to him. It looks like a lot of fun to use.

Hi SC
I know what you mean about the glass. I keep thinking about all the birds flying into it...but what can you do. Eh.

Hi Louis
Ha, next time I will have to enter the store and get some photos for you. It was a mob scene.

Hi Wayne
Fortunately I'll be around that area for a while. I hope to catch the window washers. I bet they clean in the mornings.

Banjo52 said...

I've always thought that Apple logo was sheer genius. Still do. And talk about product placement--seems that every other movie features an Apple. I don't know how much of that was Steve Jobs' doing, but there's no doubting his genius.