-- --

Thursday, December 1, 2011

Setting the Scene, near the Plaza Hotel

Xmas trimmer, NYC
Photo by myself at 59th Street and Fifth Avenue.

A fellow trimming the holiday foliage near the Plaza Hotel gave me a big smile, Wednesday afternoon. He stood on a ladder on the sidewalk, above the crowds.

--

It is suddenly colder and more wintry like, after a few days of weather in the 60's. Time to get back to wearing big coats and waddling about.

New York City is an island, so the closer you are to the water during the winter, the colder it is. The wind comes barreling across the water at high speeds, without buildings to block its force.

I used to live on the edge of the Upper West Side, near West End Avenue. Walking home every night during the winter was like encountering arctic winds. I'd have to wrap my head in a scarf with just my eyeballs peeking out. Eek, what a sight that must have been!

Related posts: Holiday Greetings, from Times Square, Deck the Halls of the Plaza Hotel, and Christmas Ornaments on Sixth Avenue.

5 comments:

Marcia said...

He better be on the lookout for a six year old who would love, love, love to help, her name is Eloise.

RedPat said...

It's getting colder here too - I dragged out the down coat for yesterday but abandoned it today - I'm in denial! I guess it's time to drag out the Christmas decorations too.

Nori Katayama said...

your good shot! we can see his white breathe too!

Kitty said...

Hi Marcia
Believe it or not, I haven't read the Eloise books! The illustrations look darling though.

ha, I am in denial too, RedPat!

Thanks Nori!!

Free Online Dating said...

Many thanks for sharing.