-- --

Wednesday, April 25, 2012

On Taking Naps Outside and Images Around the Globe

Bryant Park nap Photo by myself, in Bryant Park.

Some photos from the stash show a couple things: the cliche about New Yorkers being overworked may be true after all, and that Bryant Park serves as a convenient rest stop.

Bryant Park is surrounded by tall-ish office towers. In the warmer months it's difficult to find a seat, let alone a spot of grass on the lawn.

During lunch, I have seen men take off their ties, shirts and undershirts to tan. Egad.
  Bryant Park nap

--
Just before leaving for vacation, I was happily involved with a gesture that was romantic on different levels - a fellow from Poland named Tomasz wrote to me, requesting photos taken at New York landmarks. The only hitch - that I hold up a sign saying 'WNUCZU *heart* KUCIA'.

I wrote back saying I would do it, and then procrastinated for a few days. I was busy preparing for my trip, and wound up taking the photos the day before I left.

Tomasz told me he was compiling a set of photos taken around the world for his girlfriend's birthday. I was floored by the video he made, showing photos taken in Dubai, London, Paris and Tokyo, among other places.

In the world of Photoshop, this is a refreshing idea - to show photos that are taken at particular places, rather than slapping text on images from the comfort of one's couch. And it's refreshing that photographers around the world joined to help a perfect stranger.

Enjoy!


The first four New York photos of Times Square, the New York Public Library, the Empire State Building and the Plaza are from me.

 Related posts: Zzzzzzzzzz, As the World Walks By, on Fifth Avenue, and Stealing a Nap, Underground.

8 comments:

Olivier said...

Hummmmm faire une sieste au Bryant Park, j'en reve ;)

Rose ~ from Oz said...

Good on you Kitty you've been part of, and helped make someone very happy with little time or effort really. Well done, very sweet. Just loved the carousel in Bryant Park!!

biebkriebels said...

What an original idea the video. I love the way he made it with the help from people all over the world. Hope his girlfriend will become his wife, such a romantic boy she must want for ever nearby I think.

Cesc Sales said...

in my country is very common to put the "siesta". And the park benches are definitely a good place to practice ...

Profile Not Available said...

Note to self: do not nap in public in New York City.

Ruth Hope said...

At least the sleeper wasn't dribbling. Once on a train a sleeping stranger dribbled on my coat. Eeeeeuuw (or however it's spelt!). Love the video - she would have to have a heart of stone not to be moved by that sweet gesture.

bea said...

What a unusual gift-surprise:)
I'm watching this video and was thiking to myself "or it's in polish or I know english very well?"(I'm from Poland),heh...Instead read your post at first, I was started to watch Video:)
pozdrawiam, Bea

Ken Mac said...

for a minute I thought this was Beijing..